- Find out Your Target Audience: Before you set out for the real journey, know your target audience by checking out different social media platforms. Dubai is always in need of something resourceful as it is an expat-dominated city. You can get the idea of your potential customers from social media hashtags or by analyzing top keywords researched by users in the UAE using Google's Keyword Planner.
- Be Resourceful: As you are starting with a little capital, try to get the maximum benefit out of what you have. Always keep an eye on the product demand and on your competitors. Dubai has an abundance of commercial opportunities and sourcing excellent quality supplies for less money is always possible. Moreover, dealing with the trending items will help you to maintain a stable customer base who will continue to come back to you for more. Make sure you focus on the most important product or service by applying the 20/80 rule: What are the top 20% areas in my business that will generate 80% of the results? That's where you need to focus your time, efforts and budget.
- Tell Your Story: No matter what you decide to sell, without a relevant story, you will not receive much attention, A great way to overcome this problem is to pack your website with creative and good quality contents which are not always promotional but tell your customer base about your initiatives, your company’s theme and why they should trust you as a startup brand. If you do not have strong content creators in your team, you can also get standard and high-quality writings from freelancing platforms like Fiverr, Upwork, Elance etc. in an affordable price.
- Take Advantage of Social Media: Social media is gradually becoming the best medium for promoting your business. Think about how you can attract the highest number of customers. If your customers are more likely to be impressed by visual contents, then try posting on Pinterest or Instagram. For animated advertisement or just text-based posts, you have Facebook and Twitter. Dubai is a small and closely-bonded city where satisfying one customer can lead you towards many others. So, consider creating a Facebook page or group to create a friendly and more intimate atmosphere.
- Publish Creative Content: After starting the initial stage of your business, your main challenge is to strive against other competitors and gradually expand your customer base. Therefore, engage in content marketing by creating and publishing creative content that engages your readers and keeps them coming for more. Experiment with "How to" articles, listicles, short videos...etc. Launching and maintaining a Blog is highly recommended. It also comes with the benefit of improving your natural ranking on Google.
- Promote Your Content: Promoting your contents to the right prospects is the most crucial step of your marketing efforts. You can do so by building partnership with an already successful brand or by going solo with well-planned social media promotion strategies. You can arrange contests or create contents in such a way that gives people something to talk about, post, tweet and comment on. If you can afford to invest some money in promotion, you can also leverage Facebook, Instagram, Tweeter, LinkedIn and other social platform’s paid promotional services which are bound to attract a substantial number of potential customers. The more your contents receive attention the higher chance you have to remain ahead of your competitors.
- Maintain Communication with Your Followers: Even if you follow all the steps mentioned above, you still want to keep your attention towards your customers. Remember that the customer is always right. Build a helpful customer service so that your prospects are always well-informed. Don’t be afraid to confront in case of a misunderstanding and admit your fault if there is any. As a beginner in the business field, it is normal to make mistakes and learn from it. If you are always interacting with your customers and making them feel valuable to you, they will pay you back by becoming your trusted buyers.
Last but not the least, bootstrapping your startup is not necessarily an easy task but may become the best decision of your life if you stride carefully. Let us know which of our tips have benefited you the most.
Contact KCCG for additional information or if you need help writing a business plan for your UAE startup, we are always here to help you with your journey.